Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications:
- (2017) “A Feeling for the Algorithm: Working Knowledge and Big Data in Biology” Osiris 32, no. 1: 151-174. http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/full/10.1086/693516
- (2017) “Globalizing Genomics: The Origins of the International Nucleotide Sequence Database Collaboration” Journal of the History of Biology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10739-017-9490-y
- (2016) “Hadooping the Genome: The Impact of Big Data Tools on Biology” Biosocieties 11, no. 3 [Journal version (full text)].
- (2015) “The Politics of Sequence: The Bermuda Principles and Open Source Biology” Information & Culture: A Journal of History 50, no. 4: 465-503. [Journal version]
- (2015) “Networking Biology: the Origins of Online Data Sharing in Genomics” Technology and Culture 56, no. 4: 839-867. [Journal version]
- (2015) “Genetimes and Lifetimes: DNA, New Media, and History” Memory Studies 8, no. 4: 390-406 [Journal version] [Archived version]
- (2011) “Coding Sequences: A History of Sequence Comparison Algorithms as a Scientific Instrument” Perspectives on Science 19.3: 263-299. [Journal version] [Post-print archived version]
- (2011) “On the Means of Bio-production: Bioinformatics and How to Make Knowledge in a High-throughput Genomics Laboratory” Biosocieties 6: 217-242 [Journal version] [Post-print archived version]
- (2003) “Fundamental Physics and its Justifications, 1945-1992” Historical Studies in the Physical and Biological Sciences 34(1), 151-197. [Journal version] [Archived version]
Chapters in Books:
- (2015) “Networks: Representations and Tools in Postgenomics” in Postgenomics edited volume.
- (2015) [with Sarah Richardson] “Beyond the Genome” in Postgenomics edited volume.
- (2015) [with Sarah Richardson] “Approaching Postgenomics” in Postgenomics edited volume.
- (2013) “From Bomb to Bank: Walter Goad and the introduction of computers into biology” in Outsider Scientists: Routes to Innovation in Biology, Oren Harman and Michael Dietrich, eds. (University of Chicago Press, 2013).
Preprints and Open Access works:
- (2017) “Science in the City: Managing Space and Innovation in Singapore’s Fusionopolis” Open Science Framework / SocArXiv https://osf.io/5f673/
Commentaries and Opinion Pieces:
- (2016) [with Jenny Reardon, Rachel A. Ankeny, Jenny Bangham, Katherine W. Darling, Stephen Hilgartner, Kathryn Maxson Jones, Beth Shapiro, and The Genomic Open Workshop Group] “Bermuda 2.0: Reflections from Santa Cruz” Gigascience 5(1): 1-4. [Open access version].
- (2016) “From the medical gaze to the statistical person: some historical reflections on evidence-based and ‘personalized’ medicine” Australian Family Physician 45, no. 9: 632-635.
- (2015) [with Lijing Jiang] “Chinese biotech versus international ethics? Accounting for the China-America ethical divide” Biosocieties 10, no. 4: 483-488. [Journal version]
- (2012) “Dr. Sanger, Meet Mr. Moore: Next generation sequencing is driving new questions and modes of research” Bioessays 34, no. 2: 103-105.
Publications in the Natural Sciences:
- Laura Gonzalez, Jaehong Park, Lihua Zou, Yanhui Hu, Zahra Moradpour, Joseph Pearlberg, Jacqui Sawyer, Hallam Stevens, Ed Harlow, Joshua LaBaer (2011) “High Throughput Ectopic Expression Screen for Tamoxifen Resistance Identifies an Atypical Kinase that Blocks Autophagy” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 108(5): 2058-2063 [Journal] [Full text]
- Hallam Stevens, Robert F. Considine, Calum J. Drummond, Robert A. Hayes, and Phil Attard (2005) “Effects of Degassing on the Long-Range Attractive Force Between Hydrophobic Surfaces in Water” Langmuir 21, 6399-6405. [Journal] [Archived]
- (2016) Review of: Christine L. Borgman. Big Data, Little Data, No Data: Scholarship in the Networked World (MIT Press, 2015). Technology and Culture (forthcoming).
- (2016) “Seeing Data” [Essay Review] Historical Studies in the Natural Sciences 46, no. 2 (April): 252-259.
- (2015) Review of: Aaron Panofsky. Misbehaving science: Controversy and the Development of Behavior Genetics (University of Chicago Press, 2014). Journal of the History of Biology 48: 353-355.
- (2014) Review of: Angela Creager. Life Atomic: A History of Radioisotopes in Science and Medicine. (Chicago University Press, 2013). Journal of the History of Biology 47: 177-179.
- (2013) Review of: Miguel Garcia-Sancho (2013) Biology, Computing, and the History of Molecular Sequencing: From Proteins to DNA, 1945-2000 (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013), Social History of Medicine (Published online 14 Jan 2013).
- (2011) Review of: Joseph November. Biomedical Computing: Digitizing Life in the United States (Johns Hopkins University Press). Isis 104, no. 1 (2011): 186-187.